Underground Mathematics offers new, creative resources to support and inspire teachers and students of A level Mathematics. The aim is to make studying mathematics at this level a rich and stimulating experience, enabling all students to explore the connections that underpin mathematics.
To view the Underground Mathematics resources please visit https://undergroundmathematics.org/
This free one day course focuses on using the Underground Mathematics resources to support the overarching themes in the new mathematics A level: proof, problem solving and modelling.
This course is designed to support all teachers of A level Mathematics. In order to be able to engage in all aspects of the course, participants will need to be confident with the content of AS Core Mathematics. To maximise impact and aid dissemination we encourage schools to send two teachers on this course.
For the teacher
- Familiarity with the philosophy of the Underground Mathematics project
- Opportunity to discuss effective classroom use of the resources
- Advance planning for the three overarching themes of the new A level
For the student
- Tasks that make A level Mathematics a rich, coherent and stimulating experience
- An appreciation of the connected nature of mathematics
- Developing the skills to tackle unfamiliar problems with confidence
For the school/college
- More engaging and relevant mathematics lessons
- Resources that meet the requirements of the new mathematics A level
- Bespoke departmental meeting activities for delegates to share the resources with colleagues